Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Final thought from the Sidelines

Laura Thompson (right) covered the national championship as part of the SSN Canada crew as a sideline reporter. Here she gives her final thoughts on the tournament.

Well, the weekend is over and what a weekend it’s been. It was a really great experience for everybody. I had so much fun talking to the players, coaches, parents and fans and getting a glimpse into each of the teams. For all of those, who let me talk to you, thanks. We really appreciated all the time you gave us this weekend.

Although, I’ve got to say it was a little melancholy, too, because it reminded me of some of my old volleyball teams and just how great a team dynamic can be. Lindsay McAlpine of the Pandas summed it up perfectly last night when she said, “These 25 girls are my best friends.”

For some of these girls, they played their last hockey games this weekend. Others will be back next year and now with some CIS experience under their belts, but the teams will never be quite the same as they are now. It’s one of the those things that you really need to appreciate while you have it because it’s not going to last forever and the season always seems too short once it’s over. But, for all of these girls, playing at the CIS championship will always be a great memory.

As for me, working with the SSN team was fantastic. Everyone has worked so hard this weekend and I think the results prove it. For my final thoughts, I just want to thank everyone for the great weekend, Mark, Alayne, Stuart, Warren, Mr. Burton, Nick, Dan, Alex, but especially Kevin Burton because without the brains of the operation, the webcast might never have even happened! It’s been a great learning experience. I mean, how many people can say they were on the ice during the "Panda"monium? I hope I'll be back next year and I promise, I'll work on my puns.

No comments: