Sunday, March 18, 2007

Two days in the book, two days to go

Stuart Bowden is providing colour commentary for all games this weekend. Today he offers his insight on the championship thus far.

Things have played out pretty much as we have expected so far. McGill sits atop Pool A with a win over Manitoba. And we knew the Gee-Gees were going to be in tough in Pool B with games against Laurier and Alberta.

What no one expected was the undisciplined play of the young Moncton squad. Other then the Moncton fans, I think I was the most excited person to see this team play. They seemed to be just like our Ottawa team from 2003-04 that used its' inexperience to make a run to the silver medal at nationals. But after Moncton took 12 minor penalties against Manitoba, my excitement turned to disappointment. Maybe they need this trip to the Canadians to gain some experience for next year.

They say that women's hockey is a small world and that has been especially true this week. It has been great to mingle in the crowd with coaches, players, and just general hockey people that I have meet in the past. Sometimes I strike up conversations between periods and almost forget to get back to the broadcast booth.

And finally to my choice of shirt colors. It has just happened that the last two times I have called McGill games, they have fallen on a Friday. As a government employee in the National Capital Region, we are encouraged to wear red on Fridays to support the troops, an initiative started by the wives of troops at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa. Since it has been successful for McGill though, I have informed the five other coaches that I will wear their team colours for the right price.

No comments: